What are the best Holiday gifts for new and expectant parents? Our doulas came together to create our “Must-Have” gift list for pregnancy, postpartum and for baby. Pick one of these to make your new parent friend or family member happy!
1. Money towards birth and/or postpartum doula services: NYC Birth Village doulas are experienced birth and postpartum doulas that offer a variety of packages to meet everyone’s needs. Check out our website to see what our doulas can do for your pregnant/new parent friend.
2. Prenatal Massage: Pregnancy can take a toll on a pregnant person’s body. Give the gift of comforting touch from one of our collaborators, licensed massage therapist Fiona Pippa. Contact us to learn more about her services.
3. Pregnancy Pillow: It can be hard to get a goodnight’s sleep while pregnant. This Queen Rose pregnancy pillow can help make your pregnant friend more comfortable.
4. Water Bottle: Staying hydrated is very important while you are pregnant or nursing. This Camelbak water bottle is an Amazon Best Seller!
5. Large Inflatable Exercise Ball: Regular chairs can be tough to sit on while pregnant. A large exercise ball is a good alternative to the conventional office or desk chair. This ball is also great to open up the hips and for pain management during childbirth. Bouncing on it can also soothe babies who are fussy during the postpartum period.
1. Breastfeeding-friendly clothing: It can be difficult to find clothes that are easily accessible for nursing or pumping AND cute! The Madri Collection has some chic clothing options for breastfeeding parents.
2. A trial subscription to Hulu or Netflix: Breastfeeding sessions can last anywhere between 15 to 45 mins in the first few weeks before baby gets more efficient at the breast. Give your friend or family member something to do while waiting for baby to finish nursing. Binge watching shows on Netflix or Hulu are a great way to pass the time.
3. Mani/pedi Gift Certificate: Raising a new baby can be pretty time consuming and it can be hard to find time to do something for yourself. Give your new parent friend a ticket to self care to their favorite Nail Salon. Its a great reason to get out of the house and treat themselves to something nice.
4. Go Milk Yourself: You Have Power. Express It! One of our very own doulas, Francie Webb, wrote an amazing book that teaches lactating parents how to hand express breastmilk. This is a great option for the breastfeeding enthusiast or for someone who is looking to an alternative to the electric pump. Find the book here.
5. Gift Certificate to Cloth Diaper Service: Cloth Diapering is a great option for your environmentally conscious friends, but may be a daunting task living in NYC where not every apartment has a washer and dryer. Diaperkind offers gift certificates for their cloth diaper services.
1. Boppy Lounger: This super cute lounge chair is great for sitting baby upright after a feeding or just to hang out during the day. Find it here .
2. Boba Wrap: Babywearing has many advantages for baby. Its also an easy way to be hands-free and close to your baby at the same time.
3. Comotomo Bottles: These bottles help to ease transition from breast to bottle because of the soft silicone exterior and wide nipple.
4. SwaddleMe Swaddles: These velcro swaddles are great for keeping baby calm, snug and secure, just like in the womb!
5. Soothie Avent Pacifiers: These are popular among babies who soothe themselves by comfort sucking.
You can’t go wrong with any one (or more!) of these gifts! Your pregnant friend or family member will be touched by your thoughtfulness.
NYC Birth Village